Use this URL to cite or link to this record in EThOS: https://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.774526
Title: Aeroelastic tailoring of a composite wing with adaptive control surfaces for optimal aircraft performance
Author: Krupa, Eduardo
ISNI:       0000 0004 7961 7301
Awarding Body: University of Bristol
Current Institution: University of Bristol
Date of Award: 2019
Availability of Full Text:
Access from EThOS:
Access from Institution:
Abstract:
The ever-progressing air transport industry has always been challenged to improve aircraft efficiency. Although enhanced fuel burn metrics have been achieved over the last decades, increased air travel demands, and the recent introduction of fuel efficiency and emission goals by industry regulators, represent a major force opposing the required improvements imposed on the aviation sector. These factors create a conflicting landscape, driving proposed new aircraft configurations towards even more fuel efficient and emission-free designs. In this scenario, the aviation industry has been evolving constantly and is anticipated that major and drastic improvements in aircraft performance will only be possible by means of non-conventional or hybrid design approaches-for instance, the combined use of composite materials with active/adaptive control of aerodynamic surfaces. The expected outcome is the creation of designs that outperform those following solely passive aeroelastic tailoring paradigms. As a novelty, an investigation of the synergies and trade-offs between passive and adaptive aeroelastic tailoring of a transport composite wing based on the NASA Common Research Model is presented. The drivers, design interdependencies, and performance improvements of combining composite thickness and stiffness tailoring with quasi-steady control surface scheduling, and jig-twist shape are assessed for improved fuel burn efficiency and its related disciplines: manoeuvre load alleviation and cruise aerodynamic performance. The dependence of actuator weight on the level of load alleviation is also quantified for different control surface topologies. Furthermore, in addition to straight-fibre laminates, potential benefits and related design compromises of tow-steered laminates augmented by adaptive full-span control surface devices are correspondingly investigated. Relative to an all-metallic wing with undeflected control surfaces, it is shown that the combined exploitation of composite stiffness tailoring with adaptive trailing-edge devices allows for a remarkable 6.7% fuel burn saving. From the total noted fuel burn improvement, 69% of was due to trailing-edge devices and the remaining 31% to the use of straight-fibre laminated skins. Adding leading-edge flaps to the optimisation improved the fuel burn savings in ~ 0.25%, and similarly, allowing the fibres to locally steer produced designs ~ 0.45% more fuel burn efficient than straight-fibre counterparts. If compared to a baseline model with straight-fibre laminates and undeflected control surfaces, 86.2% of the fuel burn improvement was due to trailing-edge devices, 9.3% achieved due to tow steering and only 4.5% obtained via leading-edge devices. Overall, the results found encourage intersecting two emerging and prospective aeroelastic tailoring technologies for improved aircraft aerostructural performance: composite tailoring (both straight-fibre or tow-steered laminates) and variable aerofoil camber.
Supervisor: Pirrera, Alberto ; Cooper, Jonathan Sponsor: Not available
Qualification Name: Thesis (Ph.D.) Qualification Level: Doctoral
EThOS ID: uk.bl.ethos.774526  DOI: Not available
Share: