Use this URL to cite or link to this record in EThOS: http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.703640
Title: The central and local financial organisation and administrative machinery of the Royal Free Chapel of St. George within the Castle of Windsor from its foundation (1348) to the treasurership of William Gillot (1415-1416)
Author: Roberts, A. K. B.
Awarding Body: University of London
Current Institution: Royal Holloway, University of London
Date of Award: 1943
Availability of Full Text:
Access through EThOS:
Access through Institution:
Abstract:
Edward III chose the chapel in Windsor Castle to be the centre of his new Order of the Garter. A college of secular canons was founded to serve it, and benefactions of the king and other companions of the Garter provided an annual income of about £600. Many of the canons were royal clerks. Statutes drawn up for the college in 1352 by the bishop of Winchester gave control of administration, under the chapter, to three officials elected annually from the residentiaries. Of these three, the treasurer was concerned with finance, especially disbursements, the steward with estate management and collecting revenue, and the precentor with the chapel and its services. Chief of the treasurer's duties was paying wages to members of the college, but he was also responsible for all expenditure made by himself and other officers, except the precentor, and was finally accountable for revenues, which, although collected by the steward, were delivered to him. Important among sources of revenue were eleven appropriated churches and three manors. Estates In Berkshire and Buckinghamshire were at first managed directly, but by 1361 all except two nearby manors were at farm. With regard to estates at farm, the steward's duties were to arrange leases, make occasional visits of Inspection and collect rents. Towards estates under direct management his responsibilities were heavier, Including constant economic supervision, and holding court. Local officials held office for long periods, and the steward had a permanent lay helper, the steward of the courts. The income of the chapel itself (offerings and gifts) was collected by the precentor who paid from it for the upkeep of the chapel and the services. Accounts of central and local officials were audited annually at Windsor by the dean and two other elected residentlaries, helped with manorial accounts by an outside auditor.
Supervisor: Not available Sponsor: Not available
Qualification Name: Thesis (Ph.D.) Qualification Level: Doctoral
EThOS ID: uk.bl.ethos.703640  DOI: Not available
Keywords: European History
Share: