Use this URL to cite or link to this record in EThOS: http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.553966
Title: Resource-based industrialization in Peninsular Malaysia : a case study of the rubber products manufacturing industry
Author: Goldthorpe, Christopher C.
Awarding Body: University of Bradford
Current Institution: University of Bradford
Date of Award: 2009
Availability of Full Text:
Access through EThOS:
Access through Institution:
Abstract:
This economic history and examination of the rubber products manufacturing industry in Peninsular Malaysia contributes to the subject of resource-based industrialization in the field of development studies. The development of the industry is traced from the 1920s to 2005 when the Second Industrial Master Plan came to an end. The findings are that local interests control 80 per cent of the industry, with foreign direct investment in the remaining 20 per cent, either as subsidiary companies of overseas manufacturers or in joint ventures with Malaysian investors. The industry has a dualistic structure, with foreign-owned and joint venture companies typically being more heavily capitalized and employing a larger workforce than wholly Malaysian-owned companies. Foreign and joint venture enterprises are more likely to export a greater volume of production than local firms. Nevertheless, the industry as a whole has a strong export-orientation and Malaysian-based exporters sell into markets worldwide. A detailed examination of the industrial components production sector by means of a questionnaire indicates that Malaysian producers rely on the Malaysian Rubber Board for the transfer of manufacturing technology. Technology transfer in the foreign and joint venture sector is from parent companies and joint venture associates overseas. The conclusion is that the rubber manufacturing industry is vertically integrated with local production of natural rubber used as raw material to produce a range of goods for sale to domestic and international markets. The 80 per cent Malaysian component indicates a stable domestic industry ably supported by local technology resources.
Supervisor: Cusworth, John W. ; Franks, Tom R. Sponsor: Not available
Qualification Name: Thesis (Ph.D.) Qualification Level: Doctoral
EThOS ID: uk.bl.ethos.553966  DOI: Not available
Keywords: Malaysia ; Economic history ; Development studies ; Industrialization ; Rubber manufacturing industry ; Foreign direct investment ; Dualistic structure ; Export-orientation ; Technology transfer
Share: