Use this URL to cite or link to this record in EThOS: http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.514010
Title: The place-names of Lindsey (North Lincolnshire)
Author: Bower, Irene Mary
Awarding Body: University of Leeds
Current Institution: University of Leeds
Date of Award: 1940
Availability of Full Text:
Access through EThOS:
Access through Institution:
Abstract:
The earliest settlers in Lindsey found a land which differed widely in aspect from that inhabited by their successors. Surrounded either by the sea, or by rivers 1iable to flood, Lindsey was an island, (v Lindsey infra 1) and its lowlands were swamps. The Isle of Axholme, with the exception of the patches of Red Keupor Marl, which provided the sites for settlement, remained a swamp until 1626, when Vermuyden undertook a scheme of drainage, Around Wainfleet, and in the south of what is now the soke of Bolingbroke, were the fenlands, such as characterize the division of Holland. Out of these swamps rose the Cliff a narrow range of Oolite Limestone, varying in width from two to six miles, and" running in a north - south direction from Winteringham to Lincoln, and the WWolds, a line of chalk hills, parallel to the sea from South Ferriby to Burgh-le- Marsh, rising in some parts to a height of over 500'. Between the Cliff and the Wolds was the water-logged Ancholme valley; between the refolds and the sea was the Marsh. Such was the aspect of Lindsey in the Paleolithic period, when man first left traces of his occupation.
Supervisor: Not available Sponsor: Not available
Qualification Name: Thesis (Ph.D.) Qualification Level: Doctoral
EThOS ID: uk.bl.ethos.514010  DOI: Not available
Share: