Use this URL to cite or link to this record in EThOS: http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.502578
Title: Rotavirus gastroenteritis in Saudi Arabian children
Author: Kheyami, Ali Mohammed
Awarding Body: University of Liverpool
Current Institution: University of Liverpool
Date of Award: 2008
Availability of Full Text:
Access through EThOS:
Abstract:
This thesis comprises of two different studies investigating rotavims infections among children conducted in two Saudi cities namely Maddina and Oizan. Enzyme immunoassays were used to examine faecal samples obtained from children with acute, dehydrating gastroenteritis in the presence of rotavirus on both studies. In addition, all Maddina samples were subjected to Electron Microscopy (E.M) to detect any non-group A rotavims and all other viral enteropathogens. The rotaviral genome was then extracted using a guanidine isothiocyanate method. Rotavimses were then examined by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (PAOE) for rotavims electropherotype, and by hemi-nested reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-peR) for rotavims VP7 genotype (0 type) and VP4 genotype (P type).In Maddina, during the 12 months of this study, (April 2004 to ApriI20Q5), faecal specimens from 1049 children under six years of age were examined for enteric vimses. Fifty five percent (575/1 049) of dianhoeal samples were collected from inpatients and 45%, (474/1 049), were from outpatients. Enteropathogenic viral agents were detected in 277 (26%) cases. The frequency (%) of each individual agent was recorded as follows: rotavims was detected in 189/277 (68%), cOl:onavims in 66/277 of cases (24%), enteric adenovims was in 14 cases (5%), norovims in 4 cases (2%), and astrovims was identified in 2 cases (1 %). A total of 189 rotavimses were characterised by electropherotype, 0 type and P type. Ofthese 95% were assigned to 0 type and 96% to P type. The most prevalent 0 type was 01 (48%) of which 96% were ofP[8] VP4 specificity. Interestingly, 61% of the 01 and 47% ofP[8] strains were tyeable only with altemative pllmers. The second most prevalent 0 type was 02 (22%).
Supervisor: Not available Sponsor: Not available
Qualification Name: Thesis (Ph.D.) Qualification Level: Doctoral
EThOS ID: uk.bl.ethos.502578  DOI: Not available
Share: