Use this URL to cite or link to this record in EThOS: http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.494073
Title: Strong cooperativeness and family reproductive ecology : an overview of the communitarian life among Totonacas from Mexico
Author: Espino, Ramón Patiño
ISNI:       0000 0001 3449 3585
Awarding Body: University of Liverpool
Current Institution: University of Liverpool
Date of Award: 2008
Availability of Full Text:
Access through EThOS:
Abstract:
Young Kgoyomes (Indigenous Totonacas from the rural highlands of Huehuetla district in Mexico) were asked to state their principal moral values. The following 4 concepts in order represent 84% of their choices: (a) life, (b) close relatives, (c) money, and (d) health. The remaining 16% spread across 18 different concepts. At the level of intersexual dyads, the characteristics both sexes found most attractive in the other were: a) being a hard worker, (b) faithfulness, (c) prettiness/handsomeness, and (d) good-heartedness. These represented 58.7 % of men's preferences and 55.8 %> of women's in a prospective partner, with the remaining percentages split across 18 different characteristics. Such an affinity between the sexes has probably facilitated the "assortative" selection of a partner, producing marriages which are highly monogamous and harmonised for hard work. Another example of 'pro-social sentiment' is the precocious age at which they start to 'help at the nest', i.e. from 5 years old onwards, and by the age of 10, 58.4 % are already engaged in a variety of tasks for helping the family.
Supervisor: Not available Sponsor: Not available
Qualification Name: Thesis (Ph.D.) Qualification Level: Doctoral
EThOS ID: uk.bl.ethos.494073  DOI: Not available
Share: