The episcopal administration of Matthew Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1559-1575
This thesis sets out to examine Matthew Parker's diocesan, rather than archiepiscopal, policies and practices. The principal features of Parker's life are outlined, the size, etc., of the diocese is described and estimates of population are included. In describing some of the features of Parker's 'orderly' policy (and the desire for order was his main motivation), impropriations, maintenance of parish church fabric, supplying of books to parish churches, providing for schools and licensing teachers, and supervision of the cathedral are touched upon. The administrative structure of the diocese is outlined, and biographical material on the commissaries general, the archdeacons and their officials, the bishop suffragan, the high commissioners and the diocesan visitors is given. One chapter describes what happened to the Marian ecclesiastics in the Elizabethan diocese of Canterbury, and another is concerned with the new clergy, the lay readers and the damage done by non-residence. Parker's first problem was to find clergy of any kind; it was only later he was able to be more particular about their qualifications. Parker's attitude to puritanism and his policies towards diocesan non-conformity is analyzed. The administration of lands and properties is described and the criticism levelled against Parker for behaving like a great lord rather than a curate of souls is noted. Chapter IX , describes the royal taxation of the diocese---a total of over £12,000 for the period of Parker's administration---and discusses first fruits, tenths, clerical subsidies, supplies of armour, and special levies. The importance of statute law and the re-invigoration of the ecclesiastical courts is noted. Included are maps and appended biographies of 51 cathedral prebendaries and preachers. MSS. collections in Canterbury cathedral, the Kent County Archives Office, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, Library, Lambeth Palace, Somerset House, the Public Record Office and the Bodleian Library were used.